Dr. Alyssa L. Abbey
Assistant Professor, California State University Long Beach
I am interested in exploring Mountain building processes, continental rifting, and the relationships between tectonics and landscape change through the use of thermochronometric, geochronologic, and geochemical tools
Innovation in science communication and accessibility of STEM through story-telling and the intersection between art and science
Students interested in doing master's projects with me should check out the Geological Sciences Department page for application details
- (Jan 2021) Joined the Cal State Long Beach Department of Geological Sciences as an Assistant Professor!
- (Jan 2021) Co-convened the Rift Basins session at the Tectonics Studies Group 50th Anniversary Annual meeting
- Co-convening two sessions at AGU 2020! Combining Multiproxy Data to Resolve Relationships between Tectonics, Climate, and Surficial Processes (with N. Brown, E. Niespolo, L. Corbett) & Techniques and applications of thermal history modeling of low-temperature chronometers (with K. Murray, A. Stevens-Goddard, M. Wildman)
- (Sept 2020) What an amazing experience participating in the Festival of Science & Science Moab Panel: Rethinking Science in the Southwest
- (July 2020) Had a wonderful time and met more amazing people at the Earth Educators Rendezvous Virtual meeting this summer
- (Feb 2020) Formed some great new teaching ideas and activities after participating in Diane Ebert-May's fun and useful workshop: Pathways to Scientific Teaching.
- (Jan 2020) Happy to join the Tectonic Studies Group (TSG) as an Early Career and International Rep. Check out our opportunities including scientific meetings, field trips, awards, funding etc.
- (Jan. 2020) Check out this new article I wrote on behalf of The Biota Project's blog partnership with Science Connected Magazine: Earth's Changing Surface: It Takes Time! .
- (Nov 2019) Spent a productive 2 weeks in France at the Université de Rennes with Kerry Gallagher & Chelsea Willett! Be sure to see what we've been working on at Thermo2020
- (Dec 2019) Check out our new paper in Tectonics! Abbey, A.L. and Niemi, N.A. Perspectives on continental rifting processes from spatiotemporal patterns of faulting and magmatism in the Rio Grande rift, USA
- (AGU 2019) Oral Presentation. Title: Isotopic constraints on fluid-rock interactions associated with the Little Devils Postpile magmatic intrusion, Yosemite National Park, CA
- (AGU 2019) So much fun representing The Biota Project with Micah Miles at our interactive poster. Title: The Biota Project: A Grassroots Approach to Scientific Communication using Multimedia for Engaging Diverse Audiences
- (Aug 2019) Super fun and productive field season in San Juan, Argentina! Thanks Guido Gianni & Aixa Inés Rodríguez for all your help!
- (July 2019) Had an amazing time meeting such dedicated and inspiring people at the Earth Educators Rendezvous in Nashville, TN